Monday, June 2, 2014

Sat & Sun Worlds Viewing Party

The jiu jitsu first...

Taught basic submissions from guard on Saturday morning, b/c I had zero time to prepare and needed to go with what I was most comfortable with. I wish I would have been able to prep more. Class went ok, but more prep makes it more better. Had four ppl attend.

After that it was open mat. Two people had driven a couple of hours to come roll with us, and sad for them but James was out coaching kids at a local tournament. One of them was a big purple belt dude. Not too many people wanted to roll with him, so I ended up going against him twice. The first time he positionally dominated but wasn't able to get a submission. The second time he went for a rolling back attack and I took his back instead. That lasted for a very brief while, and then he was able to get a submission (can't remember what). 

His gf/wife is a blue belt, and when we started to roll she seemed super tentative, so I went very easy. Turns out her open guard is very good, and she was able to keep me from passing. In mid-pass at one point she got me with a Frank Mir.

I think that I also had rolls with Russ and Sol and or Jason (p).

Came back and watched Worlds after classes. We had missed the open weight matches, but caught quite a few weight division matches. I grilled burgers and dogs and that seemed to satisfy folks. Matches went until about 9pm. Everyone wanted to go to Russ' house to hang out after but I was wiped. Went for a short walk with the dog instead and then to bed.

Sunday morning some folks came over at 10am to watch the quarters and semis in the weight divisions. The matches were generally pretty good. Some stalling, but overall I understood what was going on better than last year so even had some appreciation for the 50/50. 

We moved class to 3pm instead of 1pm to coincide with the match schedule. Only four of us at the advanced class. James worked some lapel guard, Sol a half guard pass, Jason I can't remember. I worked on DLR -> sickle sweep -> RDLR -> kiss of the dragon (and I was still grabbing the wrong leg to invert!). Also did half guard sweeps.

Rolls with James, Sol and Jason (p). Had a pretty fun roll with James. Sol smashed me a bit but let off. Same with Jason.

Short class, and then back to my house to watch all of the finals. Caught some of the women's matches, including one where a girl damn near got her arm taken clean off. Almost all of the men's matches were super close and very exciting in the last couple of minutes. I'm surprised the Miyao's made it that far, but they made believers out of me. I think Joao was scored correctly but Paulo wasn't. Really wanted Rodolfo to win, but as soon as Buchecha got the takedown it was a done deal. 

Overall, the weekend went really, really well. First party was a success!


No comments: