Sunday, June 29, 2014

Advanced Class

I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to drill, but that worked out ok. Drilled one of my favorites (taking the back from 93 guard) and Jason (b) showed me a great and simple counter if they get the whizzer. Simply pull their whizzer into your chest, dive your shoulder between their legs and take them across your body. I was really, really happy about picking that up as an option.

Drilled knee slice defense with James, and it helped me to figure out where I'm going wrong. I kept doing the wrong things when we rolled later, but I can put some energy into the drilling the right way and hope that it kicks in sooner or later.

With Russ I worked the DLR to RDLR and threw in the beginnings of the RDLR kiss of the dragon and baby bolo. I've come close to pulling off the dragon in rolls lately. 

With Manny I tried to do the not-quite-bolo if they're in a combat stance to a single leg but it wasn't working out for me. I think I was doing it too slow and the lack of momentum was hosing me.

Rolled with James, Jason and Russ. Russ wanted to go light, so we'd let the other work a position and then reset. He's been doing a lot of work on a double-under pass where he buries his head pretty close to the butt. No one is excited to drill that with him.

Jason crushed me a couple of times, once almost took the wind out of me as he traveled some distance before landing on my ribs. I had a pause for a couple of seconds but no damage taken. After the roll was over he said that I'm getting better at defending knee-bars...even though I really have no idea how. So...I guess that's good.

Had a pretty good roll with James. I snagged his far arm at one point when he was facing away from me and tried to use that to take the back. I didn't have a lot of success with it, and probably stayed with it longer than I should have.

No comments: