Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Enough with the Wrist Locks

Another good-sized morning class, about 15ppl. 

Passing the half guard. If they have the lock-down, if they get an underhook, and if you back-step and they start pushing away with their far arm. Felt good with all of the techniques, though I realized that I'm really, really bad about keeping my head high. I need to focus on keeping my head on their chest instead of looking around at what I'm doing.

Rolls with Sarah, Floor (new girl, I have no idea how to spell her name, but it really sounded like "Floor", not "Flora"), Sol, Ryan and Savannah.

Another fun roll with Sarah. Tried to get the DLR back-take but I'm creating too much distance on the invert and not getting grips. Or something. Something is going wrong each time. We did a little bit of 50/50 (actually 60/40 for me). I came close to getting her back but couldn't quite get the hooks. Technical and fun.

This was Floor's first or second class and she was super hesitant. I had her work through today's techniques, which were admittedly pretty complex for a brand new person. 

Sol was letting me start in top side-control, and then escaping and working top side-control of his own. He had top side-control and was aggressively trying to get my hands in a position for a wrist lock. I defended fairly well, and cursed him good-naturedly. A bit later on in the roll, he got a wrist-lock and then applied it HARD. I yelped out a tap and laid on the mat for a minute trying to figure out if I was injured or not. I wasn't, and after a bit we went back to rolling. He was very passive after that, letting me spiderguard sweep him. He apologized several times, and he certainly didn't mean to cause pain, but I was still a little pissed. It didn't help that James had a wrist-lock bonanza on my last night.  No permanent damage though, so I need to let it go.

Roll with Ryan was disheartening b/c he got on top and stayed there the entire roll. Fricking two stripe white belt who's about my size can get on top and stay there for five minutes. Not the first time this has happened either. FML.

Savannah was being goofy at the start of our roll just lying down, so I started in N/S. She tried to work an escape which led me to getting close to her back. Halfway through the round, we reset and she started in N/S. I was able to escape and do a fairly good job of keeping guard. 

On a completely unrelated note, I've decided that I'm going to get back to lifting and eat pretty clean for the next month. Walter is coming in mid-July. More than likely I'm going to be shark-tanked and belt-whipped. For vanity's sake, I'd like to do the belt-whipping with no shirt, just a sports bra. I want to lose some weight (~10lb or so) and get some muscle back on my upper body. It'll be good motivation to get back to lifting.

No comments: