Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Antone's Back!

Was super happy to see Antone back. Seems like it's been forever since he's been in class. Probably 4-5months. 

My head still isn't quite in the game. Doesn't help that I'm being asked on a daily basis if I'm going to test for purple next month. Ugh.

Started with the lasso -> spiderguard sweep from Monday.

From there, the DLR -> RDLR drill. I tried to do the dumb side for a minute and holy crap, what a trainwreck.

DLR to baby bolo and the sickle sweep from RDLR.

Rolls with Sarah, Antone, Dennis and Flor. (Yes, it's Flor, I got confirmation on the spelling. Spanish for flower.) Sarah and I had a pretty fun roll. I did a catch and release on an arm-bar, otherwise it was pretty evenly matched. It went much, much better than the flow roll that we did to start class. I was being a complete dork during the flow roll. 

Antone passes in a completely different manner than anyone else that I roll with regularly, so it was good to get a different perspective on how my guard game works with that (short answer: it doesn't). I did manage to fend him off from truly awful positions for a little while, but he got a couple of submissions (a choke and arm-bar). I felt like I was relatively close to a back-take or two, but couldn't get around the corner.

Dennis and I had one of our old-school rolls where he tries to pass my guard for 5min and I try to sweep for 5min. I was relatively happy with my footwork and hip movement. I was perfectly set-up for the baked chicken when he got double-unders, but I tried for a butterfly sweep instead and botched it b/c I did it wrong. I'm still not sure how.

Flor was a bit more aggressive, but was cursing herself on the regular and had a difficult time staying balanced. She would fall completely to her side when moving from one position to another. It's one of those things that hopefully she'll pick up. I tried to explain how it's important to stay off your side if you're in the midst of passing or in a top position but I don't think I did a good job.

After class Jason (p) and Dennis were talking about deep half while I eavesdropped nearby. Jason and I were both working deep half on the Sunday advanced class, and I really liked his philosophy of controlling the arm that's under your leg instead of the other arm if you're on top.


2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

So......... are you testing for purple next month????

;)

;)

;)

Relax On The Mat said...

Ha!!

Ironically, since I did well at Pans last year I don't have to take the test.