Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday Fiddy Fiddy

I asked James before class if we could go over 50/50. Mostly b/c it's a position that Sarah and I get into a lot and have no clue how to effectively move from there. I don't have a clue anyway. I vaguely remember some stuff he went over a long time ago, but haven't drilled so am never really sure what I'm doing. Anyway...

A take-down into 50/50 (take their back, baseball slide leg under and wrap around their leg to get them down), passing when staying in 50/50, taking the back when someone passes and moving into 60/40 for the pass. It was made clear to me that passing instead of trying to take the back from 60/40 is far more successful.

Rolls with Sarah, Jason (p), Jordan and Will. Sarah and I had our usual fun roll, full of numerous transitions and few sub attempts. We got into a stalemate in 50/50 (shocker), but that was good practice to transition between trying to get the pass while in 50/50 and trying to get to 60/40. 

Jason (p) let me start in guard each time, easily thwarted my attempts to sweep and passed into crushing side-control or went for leg-locks. There's one where he weaves his forearm between my lower legs that is straight up nasty. 

I worked primarily guard with Jordan, but I should have been focusing on sweeps instead. He's still pretty new, and working sweeps would have been more beneficial for me. He did get his second stripe today, so woo hoo Jordan.

Will is a bigger guy, pretty new. He was exerting a fair amount, and I worked guard and from his back. At one point I wanted to work the grip break when they clasp their hands together to defend the arm-bar but for some reason couldn't remember quite how my hands were supposed to go. Did a lot of catch and release with both guys.

Planning on doing no gi tonight since I suddenly have all this free time on my hands in the evenings and weekends.

No comments: