Tuesday, June 3, 2014

No Gi Tuesday

So on Monday, Sarah and are like, hey, James is teaching no gi on Tuesday night (Kelly usually does), so let's go to no gi! It'll be a fun change of pace! Yay!!!

Guess who shows up to class?

Literally every guy we have that's an upper belt over 200lb. Dammit!

We went over my favorite 93 guard sweeps, including an arm-drag on that I either haven't seen before or have already forgotten about. There was another where you go inverted that I hadn't seen before either. It took awhile to get those entries ironed out, but otherwise I felt good with the techniques.

Rolled with Sarah several times, Julio, Kasey and James after class. Fun, technical rolls with Sarah, as usual. I tried to use the DLR back-take but (no surprise), it's crazy difficult if you don't have the gi to grab on to as you circle around the back. However, the DLR to RDLR sickle was feeling pretty good after the drilling that I've been doing on it. We stayed out of 50/50 for the most part and both of us primarily worked open guard. I took her back a few times and felt like I had decent control.

Julio came in from standing, but I did a better job than usual of keeping guard. I think it's b/c he didn't have fabric grips on my legs. He did eventually pass and got me with a couple of subs, I don't remember what. 

I started off in sitting guard with Kasey (4 stripe purple) and he kinda went monkey poo on me right away. At one point he JUMPED onto me and then rolled into a toe hold. I was scared shitless b/c he is a big dude, well over 200lb and thick as a brick. I've rolled with him at least once in gi and he was very mellow, but not so much tonight. I'm not worried about getting hurt by too many guys, but him for sure if he rolls like that.

I asked James to roll after class and he was game. Not sure how long we went for, I'm assuming over 5min. It's so flipping frustrating to roll with him b/c I'll be in the midst of getting to what I think is a good position (i.e. back-take) and then I get wrist-locked. He wrist-locked me at least three times tonight. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I saw opportunity instead of bait. It was still a fun roll, and I take it as a point of pride that he said our rolls end up in some weird positions. I think that's a good thing.

No comments: