Monday, June 2, 2014

Osmosis Jiu Jitsu

I thought my game, especially my non-existent 50/50 game, was going to be fractionally better after watching it at the highest levels all weekend. Not so much. I still couldn't identify whether I was in 50/50 or 60/40. After talking with James after class though I think I've got that part sorted.

Kimura from side-control and arm-bar grip breaks. The one that James normally shows where you fall towards the head on your way to multiple shoulder-locks before the arm-bar finally clicked for me today. I was working with Jason (b), and having his full weight in s-mount was pretty damned miserable. 

Rolls with Jason, Sol, Sarah, Nate and Sarah again after class. Jason and Sol kicked my ass. Sol was being encouraging of my attempts to recompose guard from his crushing side-control, but it felt like a feeble effort. Jason swept me quickly and worked from top side-control and possibly mount. Got me with a choke, I think bow and arrow.

I tried to get Sarah in 50/50 today, which was a change of pace b/c we usually end up there by her volition instead of mine. I really thought I had subconsciously picked up on some skillz, but I don't think that's the case. I did get to 60/40 several times and was able to scoot around for attempted back takes. I also worked my DLR back-take and the baby bolo a bit. Sarah was working for a head and arm choke from top side that was fairly tight, but she let it go at some point. 

Overall, great class. Might do no-gi class this week since James is teaching. There's going to be an open mat for all of the local schools on Friday night that I'll probably attend.


No comments: