Monday, June 16, 2014

Monday Night (Rachael's Back!)

Tonight was a dose of half guard sweeps. Drive the bus, twist sweep, what to do if they're facing away with their arm under your head and what to do if their facing away with their arm across your stomach. 

This is stuff that I should be drilling the crap out of, b/c I find myself there quite a bit.

Rachael had a decent sized brace on, but it didn't seem to hinder her except on one of the sweeps that required going inside out when hooking their leg. I was very mindful of her knee and went super slow on anything that required lateral movement. It seemed to do ok.

During the roll I was really, really careful. I wouldn't touch her leg with any part of my body, and when she posted it on my hip in guard I didn't bother it. It was her first roll back in several months and I didn't want to be the one to knock her back out. She seemed to be fine pressuring with it. She got a sweep, then a pass and worked the rest of the round from top position. She's a strong top player, so it's not like I was giving that much to her. She was super happy to be back on the mats.

Roll with Michael, who has really slowed down his rolling. He was very mellow, not trying to necessarily finish chokes. He was transitioning through positions and letting me transition through positions as well. Kid's 16y/o and probably at least 180lb and all muscle. Ridiculous. It was nice to roll with him, except he was almost giving away too much. It's like flow rolling with people that don't give you quite enough resistance. But to props to him though for trying to be more controlled and smooth. I'm not going to complain.

Rolled with Cody, who pretty much tied me up in knots and got a bow and arrow at one point that surprised me. I didn't realize I was quite in that much danger. He got to my back quick on multiple occasions. 

Rolled with Dennis. I decided to try to pass instead of being in guard. I think he ended up with a sweep, then I worked from guard. He got a pass, I regained guard, and that was that.

I got kicked in the head at the end of the last round by a pair next to Dennis and I. It was right on the top so didn't do much damage but it didn't feel that great either.

Took the dog for an hour long walk after I got home class. In the past four days, I've done 10hrs of jiu jitsu, which is a fair amount for me. Looking forward to letting my body rest tomorrow.

No comments: