Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Morning

I could have gone to bed early (or even on-time) last night, but I couldn't stop playing Scramble. Stupid addictive word games.

Either due to not getting quite enough sleep (for however many days in a row), general emotional malaise or more specific malaise regarding my jiu-jitsu game, I was very mellow during today's class. James mentioned a couple of times that I was quiet today, which is saying something since I'm such an introvert. We started off with flow rolls, which is my favorite way to warm-up. Sarah and I had kindof a goofy couple of rolls, b/c we were both doing stuff that would never, ever work against a resisting opponent. Then I rolled with Julio, who tapped me out several times. During a flow roll. Seriously. Then Shaun, who also tapped me out. With a foot-lock. We. Are. Flow. Rolling.

Side-control escapes if they're facing into you, facing away, or if you're forced to escape by rolling away from them. Picked up a couple of tips that I hope to use against the guys who usually bury me in side-control, namely transitioning from bridging into them to shrimping away from them if you get halfway up but no further.

Rolls with Sarah, Shaun, Zack and Nate. Usual fun roll with Sarah where we went all over the place. I pulled her into 50/50 and tried to take her back when she came up, but she did a good job of protecting the leg from coming through. 

Shaun started to go for foot-locks but then bailed b/c he's competing in the Las Vegas Open and won't be able to do them there. So it was a lot of me trying to pass his guard, and otherwise uneventful. He did complete at least a couple of passes, b/c I remember thinking during the roll that he would have easily won on points.

Zack came over and seemed to be rolling with one hand. I couldn't tell if it was for a specific training purpose or if he hurt his shoulder or what. I got his back and top position a couple of times, but didn't go all out for chokes b/c that didn't seem quite sporting. Turns out he got wrist-locked a little too hard the roll before. 

Had a pretty good roll with Nate. He was able to secure top position and when he went for an arm-bar I was able to stack the bejesus out of him and escape. I was pleased with that.

No comments: