Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday Morning

I got to class early to go over the back-mount chokes that I'm teaching tomorrow. I'm glad I did, b/c I watched technique videos that I was going to incorporate but James wasn't a fan. I see the reasoning on both sides, but moreso his. I probably did a poor job of explaining the why behind the technique, but no matter. The less complexity I bring into it, the better for me and the class.

Warm-ups consisted of flow rolls, yay! First one was with Sarah. We're both pretty passive in flowing which doesn't work in our favor. Ben was a surprisingly good flow partner. I felt like I was moving my hips especially well. Ditto with James, but at one point I ran out of open guard sweeps. My mind just boinked but I didn't want to do the same ones over and over again. 

Technique was DLR sweeps if they're in a combat stance. Pulling them over to your free leg side, baby-bolo'ing the hook (or coming up with control of a single leg) and an arm-bar which I really struggled to get. 

Rolls with Sarah, Sol, Jason (b), Shaun and Blaine. The rolls with Sarah, Shaun and Blaine were good. I felt competitive and I fended off a pass from Shaun for a good while. He eventually gave up and we reset. 

Sol would use the side-control smash, then give me enough space to regain guard, I'd ineffectively try to sweep, then he'd pass again and smash. By smash I mean he's very, very heavy. He sits in a scarfhold position and it's miserable to try to escape. He went to the turtle position and I tried to set up a crucifix but he wasn't letting me get my knee in. 

Jason smashed me too and got several submissions. I don't think I'm a good roll for him b/c it goes pretty much the same each time and I'm not picking up on what I'm doing wrong. I need to remember to pick a point in the roll where I'm getting in trouble and ask him about it after.

No comments: