Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday Morning

Worked a series of sweeps that I like a lot. The main entry is spiderguard to a leg lasso, except you hook your foot on their opposite armpit, kick up and dump them.

If they step their foot up to stop it, bring your other leg under the arm that you have hooked, let go of the other sleeve grip to grip under their leg and sweep them in front of you.

If they don't step the leg up but have a good base, put your free foot in the elbowpit of the side you have hooked, bring other leg out to the outside of their near-side leg, sit up (maintaining the sleeve grips) and then arm-drag.

Alternatively, you can do the basic spiderguard sweep to the other side. I got some help with this one, b/c whenever I land it I end up pretty far away from my opponent, which allows them to immediately get a knee in and go to single leg X or something similar. When I made a conscious effort to keep the bottom leg tight to their body throughout, it resulted in a lot less space.

Rolls with Jason (b), Tyrone, Sarah and Quito (sp?). Jason was on top and submitted me quite a bit. Didn't use a ton of lapel guard today though. I ended up with Tyrone in my guard for most of the round and got an arm-bar at one point. Sarah and I had a back-and-forth roll, with a bit of 50/50 thrown in. She still has better instincts for it than I do. I had Quito in my guard and tried to triangle b/c he committed the cardinal sin of pulling one arm out, but his shoulders are so broad and I was already a bit stacked when I started, so it didn't work out well for me. He eventually passed my guard, and hung out in top side-control for awhile. I finally worked my way out and got to his back.

Rolled with Julio after class, and he seemed primarily interested in slapping on submissions as fast as humanly possible. He'd start on his knees, and I'd try to work an open or closed guard. He'd thwart whatever I tried to do very quickly and then moved on to some submission or another. Good times.

No comments: