Monday, June 16, 2014

Monday Morning

Big morning class today, close to 20 people. School is clearly out...

Variation of the Williams guard. Instead of gable gripping your hands together, one pulls an arm into your shin and the other holds your knee to keep their posture broken. My hips were a hot mess today. I'm guessing it's from all of the sprawling that we were doing on Saturday to finish the choke. Whatever it was, I could barely get my foot inside of Sarah's bicep. Any motion of bringing my knees into my chest was difficult.

Triangle if they don't hold your leg, omoplata if they do hold the leg and arm-bar if they try to turn back into your guard from the omoplata. 

Rolls with Sarah, Tyrone, Blaine, Kayla and Ryan. 

I can't remember what all happened in my roll with Sarah. I had some good positions including a triangle, mount and mounted triangle. I didn't try to finish any subs.

Tyrone passed my guard early, but I was able to get back to a half guard and eventually took his back. He wasn't very diligent about protecting his neck so I went for a bow and arrow. I didn't have a good angle (I keep angling my body toward the head instead of the legs) and switched to an arm-bar. Was finally able to pry his arm away with my foot and finish it. We started again and I think I maintained some sort of guard and was close to taking his back again when time was called.

Kayla was doing a good job of staying on top and staying active once she passed my guard. I was able to regain guard and was determined to end the round in a top position. I was in the midst of taking her back when the buzzer sounded, so didn't quite get there. 

I tried to get the arm-pit choke on Blaine but couldn't get my arm-pit in his neck. I had a couple of triangle attempts but wasn't able to lock them up. I was trying to maintain guard and held him at bay for a bit by threatening a loop choke, but abandoned it and he passed. I had a baseball choke set from side-control but couldn't get turned enough to finish it.

Ryan had top control for duration of the round, though I think I was able to finally get to a half guard and was working my way to his back toward the end. 

It's funny, I feel like I was closing in on the back at the end of every round, even though that's probably not what happened.
 

No comments: