Saturday, June 7, 2014

Friday Part II (Open Mat)

The open mat was about 40min away. As I was pulling up to the gym, I got a text from James that everyone else bailed on coming out. Nice. It was a little weird to be the only one from my gym in attendance, but I had scheduled to hang out with some friends in town afterwards, so I wasn't too bothered by it.

Jenny was there, so I got to roll with her several times. Rolled with a couple of big purple belt guys. One let me work a bit, the other just crushed. Rolled with a youngish white belt guy who had good basics. Rolled with a couple of white belt women that where ok but didn't seem all that interested in rolling with different people. Rolled with a couple of brown belt guys that have come to our gym several times but I haven't been able to roll with them. Those rolls were pretty fun.

Overall, it was a great workout. I felt like I was doing weird stuff most of the time. Like grabbing lapels in places I usually don't, inverting in positions I usually don't, etc. I'm not sure why I used the open as an experimentation zone, but whatever. It was a good time.

Reconnected with friends I haven't seen for a couple of years. Stayed until late catching up on life.

No comments: