Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday Part I

Great class this morning. We went over butterfly guard. I've done all of the techniques before and felt pretty comfortable with them. Sarah and I were working with Floor (I meant to ask her how her name is spelled, b/c I'm pretty sure it's not "Floor"...). She was pretty hesitant and apologized a billion times unnecessarily, but she was starting to get some of the techniques.

Rolls with Sarah, Sol, Sean, Sarah again and Jason (b). Sarah had her top game on point today and I told her so. Twice she was set up for a monoplata wrist-locky thing but she didn't finish. I had a helluva time escaping.

Sol started each roll in the fetal position, then rolled up to turtle and swept me. I had his back at one point, but I'm pretty sure that was mostly a gift. 

Jason did lapel guard stuff and had pretty good control throughout. It's a super frustrating position to be in, and my conclusion thus far is that it's best to keep your jacket tucked and out of his hands. Once he gets a good grip it's almost impossible to break it. I tried to pull him into 50/50 to see if that would help but not so much. He also did a bit of spider/shin guard that was tight control made it very difficult to maintain my base.

Sean did his usual "I'm tired" and then proceeded at a pretty intense pace. I did better with him than usual though and was able to pass his guard at least once if not twice. I don't remember much else about the roll.

Spent some time with James going over what I'm going to be teaching in Fundamentals tomorrow, which is top side-control. I'm going to go over transitioning between cross-face, kesa gatame (no head control) and reverse kesa gatame. Also going to cover the far-side arm-bar and kimura. He liked the movements that I had planned out, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Tonight is an open mat hosted by a gym that's 45min away. I'm looking forward to heading over and getting in some good rolls. Hoping some folks will be interested in doing no gi too.

Bonus is that I'm going to visit some friends afterwards that I haven't seen in close to two years. Happy about that, b/c we've known each other for 20yrs but have really let our friendship slide.

No comments: