Saturday, June 14, 2014

Brian J. Seminar

Absolutely fantastic seminar. Probably my favorite one thus far as far as knowledge gained.

Started off going over the Tarzan drill. Sounds goofy, but similar to the DLR->DLR movement, it relies on establishing grips as you work your way around someone's body (they're standing). The great part about it is that Brian showed a sweep or back-take from every angle. Nothing fancy, but the level of detail was perfect (for me) and each technique flowed well from one to the next. It's awesome as a warm-up drill and then segueing into techniques from each position.

Afterwards he showed us the arm-pit choke (terrible name). Spent quite a bit of time going over how to execute it from a partner that isn't resisting in side-control. The first time Sarah and I went through it, we were nailing it. The second time we were both doing something weird and had to ask for help. It is an absurd amount of pressure when done correctly. Similar to the brabo when it's your entire upper body that's applying the pressure.

After we got the gist of the choke, he showed us entries from top half guard, passing the guard when your opponent has both legs up, scarfhold and two variations from closed guard.

He finished with "the unstoppable pass", which we didn't have time to drill but is something I might try to work on tomorrow.

All in all, a ton of information, but I'm excited b/c I think that I'll be able to retain a fair amount of it.

At the end of class, Jason got his brown belt. So now I'm going to just refer to him as "Jason" and blue belt Jason will be "Jason S.". I knew that using (b) and (p) to differentiate them was going to stop working sooner or later.

No comments: