Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wed Morning Bottom Side Submissions

Went for a 10 mile hike yesterday. Feet were super pissed about 3/4 of the way through, but then they settled down. After I'd been home for an hour the forefoot of my left foot started to throb, but it was fine the next morning. Heard a lot of interesting birds, saw a bunch of fat little slugs and what appeared to be elk tracks. 

It's easy to tell when the belt test is approaching, b/c it's the only time that James breaks out the bottom side-control submission series. I've been using this pretty consistently since the last belt test period, but was missing some key details. When you're using shin-on-arm control, to get the far-side shoulder lock, turn your knee into them and hip away instead of trying to lift their arm up. For the reverse triangle, you have to get ahold of their far side arm to even have a chance, but you're better off attacking the near side arm with a kimura, wrist lock or americana. 

We also did the d'arce, but I'll be damned if I can remember which hand goes where. I don't know why I struggle so much with the d'arce and anaconda but I do. 

Rolls with Jason S., Sarah, Kayla and Nate. I feigned attacking lapel guard against Jason and tried to use hooks instead. I don't remember how our roll went, except I don't think he got a submission and I stayed out of trouble. I may have even been in mostly ok positions most of the roll.

Sarah and I had a good roll, but the momentum was more on my side today. I had several submissions that I didn't attempt to finish.

Kayla seemed more tired than usual today, and I harassed her constantly from closed and open guard. I got the flower sweep a couple of times and had submissions close but didn't go for the finish.

I couldn't believe it when I reversed Nate's bolo attempt not once but TWICE and took his back (or came close to it) both times. I think I've reversed someone's bolo before, but it's been a long time and both of them today were right on the money. 

After class I snuck up behind Dennis and got a seatbelt grip and one hook. He eventually escaped and we worked the rest of the time from my guard.

I crept up behind Sol too and tried to take his back. He turtled, caught my arm in and got to top side control. I spent the entire time trying to escape, and once I finally did we called it good.

My rolls felt really, really good today. 

No comments: