Friday, July 18, 2014

Fire in the Sky

Over the past couple of days, both literally and figuratively.  :(

My back is a 100% and gave me no problems in class today. We worked lapel drag from seated guard, options if they stand and try to walk around you, and a choke from the seated position.

I understand the movements fairly well, but wasn't executing as well as I would have liked. I blame it on the smoke-filled air. When I went out to my motorcycle after class, I could see tiny ash particles had landed on it.

Rolls with Zack, Sol, Gage and Jason S. I'm not sure if Zack was practicing his back-mount defense or not, but I seemed to be hanging out there for an unusually long time. Attacked many different chokes and resisted the urge to bail and go for an arm-bar. Kept pretty good control throughout.

Sol definitely gave me back-mount, and I tried and tried the paper-cutter (or whatever it's called when you do it from back mount...lapel choke?) but couldn't finish. I think I was letting my wrist flare out. Something wasn't quite right. He eventually got to all fours and pulled me over his head. I started working a pass and then some ineffective side-control chokes.

Gage I kept in my guard for most of the roll. I did catch and release on various arm-bars, but primarily worked sweeps. I got a flower and spiderguard sweep. I tried for a lasso sweep but got totally crushed as he was able to pass into side-control. He's a big kid too, so I didn't fancy staying there for long. I eventually regained guard.

Jason wanted to do more of a flow roll since he was feeling beat up, so I worked some DLR and he worked worm guard. 

The interstate eastbound was closed due to poor visibility which resulted in a massive wreck yesterday. It looks like they're detouring traffic and westbound is unaffected. If the status quo remains for the next couple of hours, then we should be good to go for the Dern seminar. I really, really hope I get to roll with her.

No comments: