Monday, July 7, 2014

First KOTH I've Ever Enjoyed

Do you know how to tell when belt testing is near? When a class on submissions from bottom side-control is followed up by submissions from bottom turtle.

We started with submissions from top turtle, which is a little less suspect. A sortof arm-in cross-choke, arm-bar, RNC with the arm trapped, paper cutter with arm trapped and transitioning to a bow and arrow.

Submissions from bottom: Wrist lock if they get a thumb-in grip, kimura if there's an arm across your back that you can trap, a near-side americana if they get a thumb-in grip and I can't remember anything else.

KOTH today, and I started down. First roll was with Sarah. I did well and felt like I was generally in control of the positioning and pace. I had a triangle at one point but didn't quite finish. Finally got mount after about 10min.

After that a new kid came over that I haven't rolled with before. He was a little spazzy but left arms out all over the place. I kept him in my closed guard for a bit and then worked an arm-bar for the finish. 

Last but not least was Tyrone. Apparently I made quite the impression on him during a recent roll, b/c he said he could hear me saying "Oh, Tyrone" in a I-can't-believe-you-left-your-arm-out-in-my-closed-guard way each time he rolled. He did better at keeping his arms in, but I did snaggle a triangle at one point (that I couldn't finish). He passed my guard, and I worked to get the far arm trapped for one of the submissions that we did last week. I couldn't quite get it, but during a scramble I did get the reverse triangle. I had it tight but the angle was wrong, so I attacked the near arm and got the kimura.

So yeah, two of them were white belts, with one of those being pretty new. But still, I held my own and managed to stay on the mat the entire time. I'll take it.

No comments: