Monday, July 7, 2014

Monday Night Spiderguard

Spiderguard sweeps tonight. Focus was mostly on hip position, which, surprise, is pretty important. Just worked two sweeps, the lasso and the basic spiderguard sweep, and transitioning between the two. I really like the lasso especially, and had spent some time earlier in the year drilling it during the advanced class. Important detail is to bridge up as you straighten your leg. It gives you a lot more umpf. I tend to just straighten the leg. Also emphasis on closing the distance and being truly perpendicular. I've had trouble loading people up on this sweep and it's due to one of those two details.

Rolls with Russ, Dennis and Sol. Russ wanted to go relatively light, then he asked for more juice, so we went about 75%. I wasn't very flow-y.

Dennis was a fun roll. I tried to pass his guard and got close but missed an underhook or something and he got a kimura grip that he used to get most of a sweep. We had to reset b/c we were running into people, but I think at the very least it would have been a scramble if not a sweep for him.

Sol and Jason (b) just sit there and wait for you to engage them in seated guard and then smash you. I tried to get DLR at one point and he did some crushing DLR defense that had me petrified that my knee ligaments were going to shoot off like fireworks. No damage done, but it was a super dicey position.

I have a difficult time engaging with the guys that do that, so I think I'm going to turtle on them instead to mix it up. 

No comments: