Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Baratoplata

Sarah asked if I wanted to go to no gi last night, and I had to resist mightily. Rest the body!

Today I was running late due to getting sprinklers fixed. I didn't anticipate being able to make it to class at all, but my sprinkler guy rocks.

Gi d'arce from KOB, gi d'arce from side-control, rolling over them if you can't pull them on their side and transitioning to a belly down straight arm-bar or combo from a not-quite-crucifix position if you can't get the lapel grip that you need for the gi d'arce.

Rolled with Sarah for a couple of rounds, then Jason S. and Kelly. I'm a little worried that Sarah is giving up on positions when rolling, which may translate to how she performs at Vegas. I'm not sure how or whether I should say something to her about this. If it were a technique thing I'd feel comfortable saying something, but it's an overall approach to the game so I'm not as comfortable giving advice.

I tried to keep good posture and fend of Jason's attempt at lapel guard and was successful for a little while. He eventually got a sweep and then spent the remainder of the round in mount trying to baratoplata me. I staved off those attempts, but couldn't get an escape to save my life. Ironic that I'm teaching mount escapes in the fundamentals class this week...

When I was in Kelly's open guard he kept getting my weight over his head and then easily worked sweeps from there. I get drawn in and think that I'm going to work a pass, but...no. Over I go. He got a bolo at one point but I stopped a rolling back attack, which was good for me. He commented after the roll that my rolling back attack defense is good, so I have that going for me. It's fun/frustrating to roll with him b/c his hip movement is sooooo fluid.

Michael F. and Tyrone got stripes after class, both of which were well deserved.

No comments: