Wednesday, July 16, 2014

First World Problems - Stiff Belt

First class for the Koral belt. It's so new and stiff, the ends stick straight out after it's tied. *sigh*

93 guard sweeps and a transition from an attempted 93 guard sweep to deep half. 

I'm pretty familiar with the 93 guard sweeps, except James showed a variant today where they try to knee cut pass after you've set up the sweep. I was executing it ok, but I didn't feel like I was getting the appropriate amount of knee tweakage.

Rolls with Sarah, Ryan, Ben and Shaun. Sarah pulled me into 50/50 at one point...but missed and pulled me into 60/40 instead. I took her back immediately while she lamented her mistake. Her knee was bothering her a bit today, but we still had a roll that was full of transitions and movement.

I had Ryan in my closed guard and I told myself "Don't just hold closed guard and look for subs!" Sooo...I opened my guard and tried for spiderguard but I didn't have good control and he started to pass instead. I had the underhook and managed to escape to his back. We had a scrambly type roll. He has really good instincts and hip control for a two stripe white. 

I did well against Ben, getting a tripod sweep (though I had a devil of a time coming up) and used a kimura from bottom half (or side control, can't remember) to get a reversal. 

Shaun wanted to go relatively light, so we did some tame work from guard. He's really going to help me with not leaving my ankles out for foot locks.




2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Hmmm. Sounds like your new belt is *very* excited about its first class. ;)

Relax On The Mat said...

I was tempted to title the post "Stiffie" but refrained. :p