Sunday, July 6, 2014

Advanced Class

Fairly warm out today, low 90s. Coupled with a holiday weekend, and there was a general sense of laziness on the mat this afternoon. I had been lounging in the yard and finally convinced myself to go in for class. Only three others when I showed up, two more came later. There was a lot of chit chat, and pretty much everyone was hoping to learn jiu jitsu by talking about it today instead of doing it. We finally got off our asses and did some drilling. 

I started with the DLR to reverse DLR, then worked the d'arce from bottom side control and as a response to the knee cut pass. The latter is not an especially great option, especially with someone who is good at pressuring your torso on the way through. If you don't get your head through you're left in a really crappy position. 

Worked the 93 guard sweep and back-take, including what to do if they get a whizzer when you try to take the back.

That was the extent of my drilling. I let Jason and Manny drill during my time since they're testing next week. 

Rolled with Manny, Jason S., Jason (b), James and Kelly. Had a good roll with Manny, in that it seemed more evenly matched than it has in awhile. Jason S. swept me several times, but I managed to stay out of especially bad positions. James let me get around to his back several times, but I never came close to capitalizing on anything. I felt like my back control was pretty decent, though getting hooks in when he was actively defending was impossible. Kelly was working different techniques that he hasn't done frequently, so we ended up in some weird 50/50 type positions. He had a foot lock ready to go for awhile and I tried to get out of it but just wasn't clear on which way to go.

Glad I went to class even though I was on the fence before I left.

No comments: