Sunday, July 6, 2014

Fundamentals & Not Fundamentals

Had someone stop in from the forums today and he was a good dude with good jiu jitsu. Will be a great addition to the team if he decides to stay at our gym.

I decided to go with the hip-bump sweep, kimura and guillotine combination for the fundamentals class. They didn't take the entire hour, probably b/c I don't know enough details about them yet to make it last that long. Savannah is testing for blue next week, so we also covered the scissor sweep and spiderguard sweep as she's going to use one or both of those.

Felt fairly comfortable with the class. Always I see details that I want to add later. I should have been taking notes after these classes to make sure I cover that stuff for next time but I didn't think that far ahead.

In the noon class we went over worm guard sweeps. I feel like it's a lot of manipulation just to get the worm guard, but once you do, it's a nightmare to pass. I worked with Nando and felt ok with most of them. One of them we used a technical stance to sweep, the other was a roll, and the last was a roll that failed to knock them down so you take the back.

Rolled with Nando, Manny, Joyce and Kasey. Nando kicked my ass pretty good. I don't get how I can attend 14 classes in the time that he attends one and he still dominates me. I have to let that ego stuff go though.

Manny kicked my ass pretty good too. We got into some weird positions. He's better at scrambling, so if I don't control him I'm cooked.

I let Joyce work the sweeps we did in the earlier class today. She knocked them out pretty good.

Kasey did that thing where he waits for me to get mid-way through a technique and then just stomps it out. I swear I feel like my legs are in mortal danger every time he grabs them.

No comments: