Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Wed Morn Back Escapes

Learned a back escape that I haven't seen before (or if I have seen it, I've forgotten) if they have underhooks on both sides. Get them on their back and slide up their torso until your thighs are pretty well clear of theirs, then get your side on the mat and free your legs. It was the latter part that I was having difficulty with, conceptually. I felt fairly comfortable if I could get a cross-face which would hopefully stave off being mounted, but it still seemed like a pretty tenuous position.

Felt good with the other back-escapes, probably b/c I taught them a couple of weeks ago in the Fundamentals class. That class is really, really helping me.

Rolls with Sarah, Jerry, Dennis, Jason (b) and Ben. I attacked a kimura from an odd angle but felt like I could do something with it, but Sarah defended well and it resulted in a stalemate. I let it go and worked from guard instead. Good roll, lots of transitions. I tried some wonky stuff while she was attempting a pass and it didn't work out that great for me.

First time I've rolled with Jerry, and it was a great challenge. I'm not sure how much he was dialing back (he's a purple belt and seems very solid with technique), but he was giving me all I could handle. I saw him roll with Julio on Monday night and they seemed fairly evenly matched. I don't recall specifics of the roll, but I was impressed with his blend of technique and athleticism. 

Did a fairly good job of keeping Dennis in some form of open guard. I got myself in a couple of precarious positions, but tried hard to keep at least a frame if not controlling grips. He commented afterward that my guard retention seemed on point today.

Jason (b) tapped me several times, at least once with a footlock. At one point when we reset, I dropped to turtle to get out of the monotony of trying to sweep or pass him.

Pretty evenly-matched roll with Ben. I was able to maintain guard and constantly attacked submissions with no finishes.

No comments: