Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wed Morn

Transportation issues so James didn't make. Jason S. ran class instead, and worked guard pull to baby bolo to leg drag to passing or taking the back. Good little series.

What became embarrassingly obvious is that even after literally YEARS of guard-pulling, I still suck at it. Granted, I rarely drill it, but good grief. 

Roll with Savannah, Christopher, Dennis and Jason. Savannah and I were going fairly light b/c her knee was wonky and she was tired. I wasn't exactly full of pep myself.

Christopher was interested in a faster pace than I was, so I was content to play bottom half guard and slow it down. We got into 50/50 at one point, and after he got the swept he immediately yelled across the room to Shaun that he got the sweep that Shaun had just taught him. That's great that he was able to implement a new thing, but com'n.

I tried pass Dennis' guard several times, but he, of all people, is starting to invert! It took me by surprise, but I'm really excited that he's trying it and having success. He's a smash passer with a strong top game, and it's awesome to see him branch out to inverting. He was having pretty good success with it too.

I tried to pass Jason's guard but he had me on my butt pretty fast. I'm clueless as to what to do once he gets that worm guard grip. Neither moving in nor keeping distance seems to work, and I can't figure out how to break the grip. At one point when closing the distance I seemed to have some success, but couldn't maintain it.

Overall not really stoked about my rolling today. I woke up full of vigor, but my knee was bugging me a bit after warm-ups and I didn't have the oomph I would have liked for more comp style rolls.

No comments: