Saturday, January 3, 2015

Saturday

I wasn't quite as prepared as I wanted to be for teaching, but it still went well. Covered opening guard from kneeling, one foot up and standing. The first two were followed by the split pass. I felt like I was doing a lot of jabbering, but that's just my perception. I was sooooo excited when Jeremy told me after the rolling session at noon that he was able to use the kneeling guard break successfully multiple times. Had 8 ppl, not including myself or Rachael.

Noon was a big class, close to 20 or so. Several visitors from other gyms and out of town. Gi drag from seated guard, ankle pick from seated guard, fake guard pull to single leg and fake guard pull to ankle pick. 

Worked with Sol, who seemed especially creaky today. Working for a railroad in winter especially cannot be kind to one's body. I felt decent with the techniques, but I was a little overzealous with burying my head into his shoulder at one point and got a twinge in my neck. Old.

Rolled with Sol, Rachael, Opal, Nick and Jeremy. I tried to pass Sol's half guard by weaving my hand between his legs and pressuring my chest on his top leg, but the second I got my hand in there he did some wizardry and swept me and/or wrist-lock me. I'm pretty sure it ended in a wrist-lock. He told me later that he's been working on that for awhile. Yeah, I guess.

I wanted no part of Rachael's side-control, so maintained guard and eventually got to the turtle and possibly back. We were interrupted repeatedly by (lower) belts crowding our space. I elected to move us since they were oblivious and feet were flying. I was pleased with how I was able to control the roll for the most part.

I pulled guard and swept Opal several times, getting to mount and taking the back. She was turning and showing a fair amount of back when she was mounted, which I cautioned her against after the roll.

I knew that Nick wanted to work spiderguard, so I promptly pulled guard myself. I got to his back as well. It was apparently my theme for the day.

Jeremy was trying to work the guard breaks from earlier, and I let him work a bit, but when he didn't pin my hips down I slid up and made him pay for it. Fairly certain I took his back too.

Overall, I was really happy with my rolls. As much as I was getting to the back, I still had instances in which I wasn't getting my arm out of the way and people were able to pull me back down into guard.

No comments: