Wednesday, January 28, 2015

No Good Comes from No Gi

On a bit of a whim, I managed to convince Rachael and myself that doing no gi on Tuesday night would be a good idea. I'm going to be competing in no gi, so I might as well practice it once beforehand, right?

I asked Jason W (who was running class) if he would go over leg lock defense, since I know next to nothing about it and will competing in the advanced division. He did knee-bar defense when they're flattened on top of your leg and when they're off to the side. Also basic foot-lock and toe hold defense. I liked the way that he broke it down, b/c it made a lot of sense. Change the angle of the joint being locked, change the direction of your hips and then finish the escape. Great stuff.

I could tell midway through that my neck was going to be a bit bothersome, but I decided to roll anyway. Bad idea. Rachael started a pass and as soon as she got control of my head I was done. D'oh!

Sat out rolling and massaged it as best I could. 

Not doing class for the rest of the week and hope that it's 100% on Saturday. If it tweaks out like it did in class then I'm going to have a rough go of it.

No comments: