Monday, January 19, 2015

Saturday & Sunday

Fundies
 Attacks from back-control. RNC, lapel choke, bow and arrow. Consistent attendance with 7 people (2 other purples and a blue belt). Not many questions asked during demos but quite a few during drilling. 

Nooner
 Tomoe nagi from guard, my least favorite thing to drill. I worked with Joyce, and we were both extremely careful. Unfortunately, the more you slow it down, the more difficult it is to do unless you are really, really proficient at it (which neither of us are). 

I told myself that I wasn't going to roll b/c Sunday was going to be a long day, but I rolled anyway. Can't remember who I rolled with other than Joyce.

Sunday Women's Open Mat
We had about 13 ppl, include a couple of youngsters. They stuck around for an hour or so and then bailed b/c of the Seahawks game. Started with a couple of rounds of flow rolling which naturally morphed into regular rolls. I think I got in five or six rolls, including a no gi roll with Julie. I think it was the first time I've rolled with her that she wasn't able to finish a guillotine or kimura. She locked up a kimura at one point, but I was able to defend. I eventually got to top position which was pretty gratifying. She seemed off her game a bit though.

After the open mat we had some time to kill b/c everyone had bailed early, so I decided to use the weights and squat rack to do my lifting session.

Advanced Class
I was cooked by 1pm. My body was absolutely not interested in drilling anything for 5min. I wasn't the greatest partner yesterday, b/c I'd have to take a few breaks with some of the techniques that other people wanted to work on that involved more than minimal effort on my part. I drilled top side-control transitions a couple of times, but switched to spiderguard and leg lasso work midway through b/c my legs were too tired. Drilled some reverse half guard sweeps/back-takes too.

Rolled with Rachael, James and Shaun. Rachael was getting the better part of it to start, but I was able to escape her side-control and get to her back before the clock ran out.

Had an awesome roll with James. It didn't feel like he was giving me anything, it seemed like I was earning it. Very nearly took his back, and transitioned to an arm-bar that he escaped but it was relatively close. I did a slightly crazy move during a pass to stay on top that was outside my norm. It was a scrambly move based on an anticipation of how James would try to sweep me. It sortof worked if I remember correctly. I haven't rolled with him much in the past couple of months, but it was far and away the best roll I've had with him in that time. I was very happy with that, considering how tired I was.

Shaun said he wanted to go light, but of course he went hard for a knee bar early on. He gets to the leg lock position fast and then applies the actual submission at a moderate pace, so I wasn't too bothered by it. We ended up in some scrambles too, so by the end of that roll I was completely wiped.

Took the dog for a walk for an hour or so and then went to bed at 8pm. :p

No comments: