Sunday, January 4, 2015

Upper Belt Open Mat

The advanced class was a bit different today, as upper belts from all of the area schools were invited to attend. I figured it would be a true open mat, but James kept the drill portion of the usual Sunday class in place. Sooooo....I wasn't prepared, but decided to work some lapel grip breaks from kneeling and standing, my butterfly hook circling out thing, split pass from half guard, leg lasso to hammer sweep and the DLR -> RDLR transitions. I had to cut the hammer sweep from spiderguard short b/c my hip flexor told me to pound sand.

Sol gave me some great advice on the split pass when I start from half guard. If they have the knee up like a sortof 93 guard or Z guard, I can push down on the top leg, which will result in them bringing the knee up to avoid having it pinned. When they bring it up, I can use that circle my arm from on top of their leg to under their leg and grab their hip as my torso goes to the mat and I work to straighten their near leg.

Rolled with Scott G., Sol, Nader and Jason W. Good times. Haven't rolled with Scott for well over a year, and while I can't remember exactly what happened, I seemed to have had the upper hand in guard for the most part. He wasn't able to pass, but I wasn't able to sweep either. I set up several triangles (didn't finish). I think I did get a pass and to his back near the end. Was really a treat to be able to roll with him again.

I don't remember much about the roll with Sol, except that I did a bit better than Friday. I studiously avoided weaving my hand in when he had half guard.

Nader, not surprisingly, got on top and took my breath away (not in a dreamy way) on several occasions. He's a big boy AND he knows how to use his weight. I was trying not to be too dramatic with my exhalations but good grief. I think he was actually trying to go light a couple of times too.

Jason W., same old song and dance. Passed my guard before I could even really establish one, sat in side-control and worked chokes. My defense seemed a bit more effective than usual though.

No comments: