Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Williams Guard

Didn't do class on Monday b/c I was feeling worse than Sunday.

Wasn't a 100% today, but felt good enough to go to one class. Rachael had to work so decided to hit the morning class.

James went over the Williams guard (his pinch knee variation instead of the gable grip) and some sweeps/subs from there. I've been exposed to it a handful of times, so it's feeling fairly comfortable by now. As always, keeping their posture down is crucial. Go to omoplata if they try to pin your leg to the mat or force a triangle.

Also worked getting a high guard on the recalcitrant opponent that is hunkered down and chilling in your closed guard: Flower sweep once you have them wrapped up, a triangle if they yank their arm out the back to post and an arm-bar if they bust their arm through the front to post.

Rolled with Sol, Blaine, Savannah, Dennis and Jason S. I focused very hard during my roll with Sol when I was in guard to maintain my frame with points of contact on his hips/shoulders, break his posture and not let my legs get collapsed. I maintained guard against him far better today than quite some time. Focusing on principles really helped instead of trying to push an agenda with a specific guard. He eventually did pass several times, but I was really happy with my frame for awhile.

Blaine and I started standing. He's had at least a year of judo, so I was nervous about this, but pulled a couple of crappy guards. Meh. I need to pull guard more often in situations outside of drilling. He worked hard to pass my guard. I'm not sure if he passed, but if he did it wasn't long before I had his back. I stayed put for the remainder of the round, staying busy by threatening chokes and arm-bars. Was very happy with my back control. Not so much with the guard pulling.

Savannah pulled guard for the most. I was able to pass once, and the rest of the times ended up in weird positions where I'd either be very close to the pass or she'd be close to a back-take. It was a bit of a stalemate, but we were both pretty active.

I don't remember how Dennis passed, but once he did it was all side-control, all the time. He went for a N/S choke, then transitioned to a head-arm, but his weight was too high up on my arm and I was able to fend it off. Got a reverse triangle but couldn't do anything with it.

Jason had top side for most of our roll and finished with an excellent N/S choke. I tried to pass his guard but I lose the grip and posture battle so quickly sometimes. He even did some worm guard or lapel guard (not sure which). Wish I could remember better exactly when things started to go south so that I would stop making the same mistakes.

No comments: