Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday Morning

A number of different ways to get sweeps from half-guard. The key detail to note today is that you need to keep control of their trapped leg all the way through. I'd like to watch video of myself sometime, b/c I'm fairly certain I don't do that (even when drilling). I felt comfortable with all of them, except for the whole keeping-the-leg-trapped. The option to take the back was a little dicey, likely because I'm focusing on picking them up with the hooked leg instead of shifting my  hips under them.

Rolled with Savannah, Shaun, Sol, James and Jordan. Everything was fine until I to Sol. I think Savannah got a good sweep, but otherwise I was able to pass and play a top game. Shaun wanted to go kindof light, but ended up going a bit faster (as per usual). He got me with a knee-bar. I did manage to get several passes but let him out once I got to side-control in consideration of his ribs.

I felt like a tree limb going through a wood-chipper when rolling with Sol. He had top side-control almost the entire time, and I couldn't mount any sort of an escape. His transitions were tight, and took the breath out of my lungs a couple of times when he switched from one side to the other. That straight up sucked for me.

Then James, who wasn't giving me any room to work today. He got KOB and kept it, then switched it to the other side and kept it for awhile longer. I tried to escape, but I couldn't noodle an escape other than trying to push his knee away, which wasn't working b/c he had it all the way across my chest. That really sucked. I felt like everything I tried was the exact opposite of what I should have been doing. Really not happy with myself in that roll.

Poor Jordan...after my frustrations with Sol and James I had a difficult time not smashing him. I didn't go for subs, but I got to mount a bunch of times. I let him work from top side-control for a bit, but not much.

When rolling with James I did try to leave my free DLR leg out with my foot on the mat instead of hanging out where they could grip it...except James was still able to grip it. When rolling with Jordan I was able to scoot around to his back and get back-mount he tried to reach for it. So there's some good there. Going to keep playing with it.

No comments: