Friday, September 5, 2014

Apparently I Still Have Some Barriers

Turns out my bad attitude on Wednesday was due to it being that time of month. Dammit.

Watched a little tennis last night. The emotional component never ceases to amaze me, and I have to admit that I miss playing a bit. Monfils vs. Federer, and Monfils goes up 2 sets to zip. To watch Monfils blow subsequent match points and then appear completely uninterested and not even competitive in the 5th set was amazing. I give Murray a pass from the night before, b/c at least he looked like he was putting up a fight. He seemed hobbled by cramps or his back or some physical ailment. Monfils just quit mentally.

Today was no gi, and James went over his hip-bump to triangle and hip-bump to kimura and hip-bump to kimura to backtake. My hip-bump to triangle was butt ugly, mainly because I wasn't fully committing to the sweep. 

Rolled with Tyrone, Oscar, Antone, Chris and Nate.

Rule for rolling is that you had to get mount or back-mount. No submissions. Loser has to do ten jumping jacks at the end of the round. Tyrone was leaving arms out all over the place in my guard and I wasn't quite confident enough to use an arm-bar as a sweep. At best it would probably devolve into a scramble, especially no gi. So I played it safe and tried to arm-drag and hip-bump sweep. No wins for either of us.

Stalemate with Oscar and Chris. I might have had some subs, but mostly I was working from guard. I should have tried to open it up more. I tried several times to get the back-take from the 93 guard (half guard) but something was missing. Also tried the back-take when they'd try knee slice passes to no avail.

Antone had top for most of the round, but I was fending off his mount and back-mount attempts. He'd try rolling back attacks that I would kindof sortof stuff. At one point I looked at the clock and realized that there was only a minute left. I was going to get out of the round without him getting a win. w000t! I immediately fell for bait where he let me think that I was going to get his back. He got out and took my back with a couple of seconds left. :(

Nate had no shirt. Nate was also very, very sweaty. No one else was in a big hurry to partner up with him. I thought it wouldn't be that bad. It was. You have to really, really commit to grappling with someone who is a bare-chested sweat monster, and I couldn't do it today. Partly it was my brain screaming at me how much body fluid was visible and touching me. Part of it was that every time I applied pressure with a hand, foot or forearm it slid right off. Mostly it was the brain. He took pity on me about a minute in and grabbed a shirt, for which I was thankful.

1 comment:

SavageKitsune said...

It's actually good self defense practice. A lot of the time, when someone really goes off the rails with drugs and/or mental illness, the first thing they do is take off all their clothes. It's a true danger that you could be defending yourself against a naked or half-naked attacker.