Saturday, September 27, 2014

Saturday Fundies and Nooner

People are soooooo quiet in my class, it's a little unnerving at times. But they keep coming, so I guess they like it. Changed my format a bit and focused solely on sweeps instead of the hip-bump/kimura/guillotine combo. I realized later that I wish I would have done a slightly different set of sweeps, but not a big deal.

Sarah was able to come to class today (finally!). She was my demo dummy for the Fundamentals portion. 

James ran the noon class like the advanced class. I didn't have anything in mind to drill, so spent one round working transitions between DLR, tripod sweep, sickle sweep, baby bolo and DLR back-take. Spent another round drilling Moura guard. Another on passes. Another on submission defense. Fairly well-rounded. 

Rolled with Sarah, Nick (twice), Clayton, Eric and Savannah. Overall I was fairly pleased with my rolling. I've been trying over the past week to really make a push in the last 30 secs. If I have guard, I go for a sweep or sub. If I'm in someone's guard, I try hard to finish the pass. I gave up some points to Clayton at the end for an ill advised arm-bar attempt. Otherwise I seemed to get the points when I wanted them. 

My decision making in open guard is pretty rocky. As much as I've been working on it, I still have a lot of blind spots and indecision. Drilling transitions between positions and having at least one option from everywhere might be a good idea for tomorrow.

No comments: