Monday, September 22, 2014

Moura Guard

Hell's yeeeeeaaaaaaah.
 
It's been a long time since we've done Moura guard. It's one of those techniques that I really enjoyed from the very first exposure to it.

We started off by slapping on a triangle if they try to break the grip on their knee, arm-bar if they try to break the grip on your pants and swing around for a tripod-ish sweep if they stand up. I love this guard, but getting into it is another matter.

Flow roll with Kelly b/c this was his first class back from his abdominal issues. I almost got his back at one point, he zigged when he should have zagged and it left me in a great position.

Tyrone was bringing it today. He did well at the tournament over the weekend, and he seemed super focused. Great top pressure and spent most of the roll in side-control. I was able to regain guard a couple of times, but it was dicey.

Big Mike wanted to flow, but flowing isn't really his forte. He passed and then I coached him through top side-control b/c he specifically asked me to point out areas of improvement. 

Last roll was with Jason S., and he had the most frustrating spiderguardish (foot in one bicep, other on the hip or hooked) control today. I was flummoxed as to what to do with it, so I ended up in a lot of spidey sweeps, lapel guard sweeps, and just a lot of bad juju for me. I told him his control was awesome, and he had Sol come over to help me figure out how to break that damned grip. That was nice, b/c I was at my wit's end with that one.

Rachael might be able to leave work long enough to roll tonight, which would be awesome. I owe her some really offensive KOB.


No comments: