Friday, September 12, 2014

Side-Control Blues

Neck didn't hinder me at all. I definitely got off lucky.

Technique was the reverse scissor sweep. I already have a difficult time with this, but couple it with the fact that I was working with Jason S (who has ~50lb on me) and my difficulties were readily apparent. James spent some time with me trying to correct it. It's the longest he's spent with me trying to fix a technique in class in quite awhile. I felt better with the sweep than I ever have, but it is still a struggle to get them loaded and twist off properly.

There was a tie-in back-take, knee bar and shoulder lock from the same starting position, but I stuck with the sweep b/c I needed the practice. 

Rolls with Jason S., Savannah, Antone and Chris.

Jason started from standing each time to alleviate his back issues and I started from seated guard. I did an ok job of keeping him at bay, but he was able to pass each time. 

I tried to pass Savannah's guard, ended up in a scramble and after a bit she passed my guard. I had one of those "meh" moments as she passed and decided to chill until she went for a submission or transition. She seemed to want the challenge of me escaping, but I was having one of those days and wasn't interested in flailing around. So she got a bottom-of-the-jacket grip and started to work a gi-d'arce. I spent the rest of the round defending the d'arce and cross-choke with success. I hate getting into that passive mental state though.

Had an enjoyable roll with Antone. I very briefly tried a rolling back attack on him which he promptly used to transition to a much more dominant position. I worked out of a few subs but was eventually caught in something (arm-bar?). Overall fun roll, but I was still feeling kinda poopy from the last one.

Chris and I had a fairly back-and-forth roll. I can never quite tell how his back is doing, so there were times when he let up from whatever position he was in and I backed off. 

I don't know why I got into a funk today, possibly b/c of stuff outside of jiu jitsu that's been fairly stressful.

I question whether I should bother going to Master World's this year though, b/c that's a lot of money to drop if I'm not feeling dicey about my techniques but also about my will. :(

No comments: