Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tuck Your Chin, Dummy

Morning

Good class, went over pulling guard to DLR, sweep by pulling them on top of you and then twisting over, failing that moving to a tripod sweep, and failing that going to X guard. I was ok with most of it except transitioning to X guard. Felt pretty awkward each time unless I waited for them to step forward (which I'm not counting on them doing). I really like the chain of the first couple though and might drill that this weekend.

Rolled with Antone, Jason W, Sol, Blaine and flow roll with Jason S.

Antone was a fun roll, and it's probably one of the best rolls I've had with him. He had the upper hand, but I wasn't that far behind.

One of my better rolls with Jason W too. He was letting me work a little bit. I felt like I was at least doing mostly the right things. I didn't come out on top, but at least I didn't feel like I was doing the wrong things at every turn.

My feelings of doing well ended with Sol. Top side control all day. Kesa gatame, cross-face, N/S...whatever. I can't move him at all when he's on top. I try to create space leaving my limbs as tucked in as possible otherwise I'm going to get wrist-locked. Very frustrating. I was also feeling like my guard was getting passed with ridiculous ease. 

Jason's back is still sore so he wanted to work passing and top game. Awesome for me. :(

I was doing well against Blaine, setting up a triangle when he tried to pull his hand inside my thigh. A ray of light shone down upon it, and I saw a baratoplata! I weaved my arm in and get my leg over his head, but he was down on his hip when I tried to hip out. Jason S. was watching and said that I could have taken him to mount and tried to finish from there or somehow get him off his hip to finish it from guard. I was pretty excited about almost pulling off a sub I haven't hardly drilled.


Evening

Some crazy back-take from top turtle. Didn't tuck my chin right and ended up (temporarily) hurting the hell out of my neck. Sat out for about ten minutes and it was better. It didn't compress, it just felt like...I don't know what, but bad. It's probably going to be stiff in the morning but I don't think it was a bad injury. *fingers crossed*

Rolled with Tyrone, Sol and Aaron. To win, you had to get mount or back-mount (no subs). Got very close to back-mount with Tyrone but couldn't quite weasel the second hook in.

Roll with Sol was just as dispiriting as this morning. He got back-mount and mount. 

Aaron put up a good fight, but I was able to transition enough to throw him off and get back-mount once.

No comments: