Thursday, October 23, 2014

Wed Night

I was a little leery about how my body would perform, but it went surprisingly well. I warmed up the class, then James did shin guard to X and several sweeps from X. I'm finally becoming familiar enough with X that my head isn't spinning after class.

I thought I'd just do one roll with Rachael and call it good since I was worried about my body being trashed from moving. That roll went very well for me (pulled guard, flower sweep, mount, back to guard, guillotine ftw) so I sat out a round and then rolled with Ryan and Rachael again. Both of those went amazing as well. 

I felt like I was in the zone and that I was rolling on a very conceptual level. I inverted somewhat naturally to prevent my guard from being passed, sweeps were on point and I got to mount or back-mount in each roll. I watched a bit of Ryan Hall's passing fundamentals, and his description of the body as a plane and the manner in which it can be controlled from the side seemed to help. Probably the first day that I've really felt like a purple belt.  

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Rachael hooked me with a SYR! We are almost exactly the same build, except that my shoulders must be much broader b/c the sleeves were ridiculously long on her but perfect on me. Score! To rub salt in the wound of those not in attendance, she put on FB that I earned the gi by doing an informal single-leg takedown competition, which was sure to infuriate the young wrestlers who covet SYRs. ;-)

No comments: