Friday, October 3, 2014

Fri Morn - Comp Prep

James sent out a notice last night that the Fri classes would be tailored to competition training.

Shockingly, attendance for this morning's class plummeted.

Flow rolls to warm up, light stretching then regular rolls.

My first flow roll was with Antone the human highlight reel. He wasn't going full bore, but my body was not quite ready for the inverting, twisting and stretching. 

Rest of the "flow" rolls were fine, albeit things escalated quickly from Happy Fun Time flow roll to Shit's Getting Serious flow roll. 

Multiple rolls with James, Zack, Antone and Savannah. I did better with Zack than I thought I would. He's a big blue belt from the same school that I came from. I didn't see him much when we were at the other school, but he works out quite a bit and has had his blue for at least year (maybe two). I was able to pass his guard multiple times, threaten him with mine and generally seemed to have the upper hand. 

Antone was hunting monoplatas today and I tried to fend them off but I usually got ended up in an arm-bar anyway. I did a fairly good job of preventing him from taking my back, but he was still able to use his bolo to complete sweeps and end up in advantageous positions to pass. In our second roll he got s-mount and hung out there for awhile trying to work a submission. He's not huge, but a still a solid 170lb on my chest for what seemed like several minutes...ooompf.

Nate was a handful. I tried like hell to keep him in my guard or take his back. He passed to side control in the first round, and I just chilled. He finally went for a rolling back attack, and I was in position to take his back but couldn't finish it. The second round he got mount toward the end of the round and I chilled again, waiting for him to do something. He seemed puzzled by my lack of movement, and was kindof going for submissions but couldn't really get anything going. I think he's so used to scrambling around that once he gets a top position stablized he's not quite sure what to do with it. 

I felt bad about not trying my hardest to escape all the time, and hope it doesn't bit me in ass when it comes to competing. I knew going into it that I'd be doing the night class tonight b/c Rachael asked me. She's only been able to hit one class so far this week and tonight is the last one until next Monday. The plan for tonight is positional sparring and/or rolling the entire class, so I paced myself this morning, especially with Nate.



No comments: