Sunday, October 5, 2014

Shoulder Woes and Reffing

Friday night I go to class with a clearly fatigued body. I figure I'll roll with Rachael a couple of times and then head out. There's six of us, and we start with pummeling drills. No problem. Then we move to fighting for underhooks. No problem until I pair up with Jason W. He gets a whizzer type hold then yanks hard in the opposite direction. I immediately felt discomfort in my shoulder and it got progressively worse throughout class. When we finally got to rolling, it hurt to lay on it and it was too weak to use as an effective frame or support my weight. We did positional drills after rolling, and by and large I was on the defensive all night.

I was worried when I got home that it might have been a serious injury, but it felt much better the next morning and 100% the following day. Lucky.

Reffed the tournament on Saturday. Crammed into a car with teammates, drove down for 2hrs and than sat while they put the brackets together. Kids gi was first, and it turned out to be easier to ref than the adults. Parents were kept a decent distance away, and none of the coaches got in my face about calls. My first two matches went to overtime and then ref's decision, which was a stressful way to start but at least got me acclimated quickly to having to make decisions. I had the biggest issue with determining what constituted a takedown and what didn't. James corrected one of my calls but otherwise there wasn't much interference from coaches.

We then sat around for close to two hours while they worked on the adult brackets. It was an absurd period of time, and I was a little out of it when we finally started. Even though I had brought food with me and had eaten some, I still wasn't quite right. The pace of adults was much faster, and trying to determine calls was tougher. I had more coaches in my ear, and I was becoming very stressed and nervous. Nando had to leave at two, and since the person who traveled down with Nando was going to go back with James, I hopped a ride with Nando. They had extra refs so we weren't leaving them in a lurch, and I was really, really happy to get out of there. I also wasn't feeling well physically, and it was a pretty miserable 2hr ride home. 

All in all I think that I did ok, even though I definitely missed some calls. I'm not sure that I would do it again, b/c it was such a hugely stressful experience.

No comments: