Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Deep Half Wednesday

I'm more or less caught up on sleep.

Deep half on the itinerary for today. Entry points from mount, KOB (basically the same) and back-mount if they try to sit up during a particular escape. Sweep by coming outside, sweep by coming out the back and sweep by lifting up their leg and turning into them.

Was happy to work this, as I want to incorporate basics of half guard (at least proper positioning) into the Fundamentals class. Drilled with Shaun, and was impressed by how he was focused on drilling out the most reps we could between instructional periods. 

Rolled with Shaun, Ben (new guy), Tyrone and Jason W. Shaun and I had a pretty even roll if I'm remembering correctly. Ben is a big blue belt dude that has apparently fallen into deep, deep love with cross-facing. I'm fairly certain that he was trying to submit me with his cross-face at least once during the roll. It was butt uncomfortable, but I wasn't about to submit to that. I scooted around and got the roll to a more even position. I think it ended with him in top half-guard or side-control again.

Tyrone wanted to work passes but he kept letting me break his posture and get grips on his arms. I almost had his back, but didn't free my far arm soon enough. I had an omoplata attempt that he used to get to a top position, but I held on and eventually worked it to another side. Got a triangle and was able to finish. Restarted, I had open guard, worked for a tripod sweep then tried for RDLR when I whacked him in the face with my elbow. We hung out a minute while he recovered, then he started in more of a smashy half guard. That was fine, b/c I eventually got out and worked to a top position.

Jason W. wanted to kimura from top side-control. That was the entire five minute round. Him in top side-control and harassing me with chokes and straight arm-bars and kimuras on the far arm until he got it. Reset, rinse, repeat. He complained about my t-rex defense, but I really couldn't see any other options. I was bumping my hips around, but he wasn't going anywhere.

No comments: