Sunday, October 26, 2014

Megaton Seminar and Digging Holes

Drove over to Seattle on Friday. Left early enough to hit one of my favorite bookstores, then meet up with some teammates for the Megaton seminar.

Half of it was takedowns and half was guard work. Some of it was fairly simplistic, but I'm awful at takedowns so the simpler the better as far as those are concerned. He was a great instructor, and it was a lot of value for the relatively inexpensive price.

I'm pretty excited that I had the opportunity to attend both Megaton AND Mackenzie's seminars this year. 


Seattle Open was a blast. I knew that I wouldn't be competing until 5pm, so I spent the day running around cheering on teammates and doing some coaching when James and Walter were busy coaching at other mats. It was really quite rewarding to be able to watch everyone compete. I don't know that I'm a very good coach, but figure at least yelling encouragement was better than nothing. We had HUGE contingent relative to our school size.

By the time my match rolled around I was ready for a nap, but tried to work myself up to get on the mat. I was mostly warm and excited to go, so that was good enough.

I don't remember the match well, other than my opponent (Anica) kept her distance at the beginning. I didn't want to rush in for a takedown (or let's be honest...guard pull), but eventually committed and I think more or less pulled guard. I wasn't able to establish a good open guard and she passed pretty quickly. I think she must have got mount too (or another pass). 

I was in all sorts of trouble, but somehow got to her back, then mount, then back again. I held the back-mount and really tried for chokes but she defended her neck well and I couldn't get a good grip. My coach called out that there were two minutes left while I was on her back, and I thought my god, two more minutes?? I maintained control, kept attacking chokes, and eked out a win.


I had dug myself quite hole, but managed to get myself out. It was awesome having so many of my teammates cheering me on. Anica was a tough draw, and I know I got out of that by the skin of my teeth.

Also very cool to chat with people that I don't often get to see. ;)

No comments: