Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Lapel Guard for N00bs

Lapel guard ain't easy. 

It's even more difficult when you barely get to drill it yourself, b/c you're spending all your time coaching a 3 week white belt through the move. I'm being a bit selfish and squirrely, I know. It's partially due to the fact that anytime I've gotten on the internet today, I was met by the resounding notes of immaturity, stubbornness and outright hostility. I have GOT to get myself off the boards when sensitive topics arise.

Anyway, back to lapel guard. I pulled Rachael aside after class and was able to drill the techniques. We rolled before class, which was good b/c it was KOTH night. :( I started off with a visiting purple belt, Mark. I thought it was going to be a kindof fun roll until he knee-barred me. Mental note: spend some damn time on leg-lock defense. 

Rolled with Sam, who to his credit, has great movement even though he trains once a month (if that). He transitioned from a north/south choke into a beautiful arm-bar as I tried to defend the choke. I'm not sure how it happened, but it was super slick.  

Rolled with a guy who's name I don't know a couple of times. He's very chatty, but even so I was able to take his back once (rear mount or sub resulted in the match being over) and finished with a triangle another time. Rolled with Cory T who passed my guard after a failed loop choke on my end (sad face) and went to some crazy near-side americana something or other that almost made me tap. Truth be told, if it wasn't a white belt and/or we weren't right in front of the line of people waiting to roll, I probably would have tapped. But pride got in the way and I somehow kept my shoulder from breaking, got into a slightly better position and then finished an anaconda from the bottom. First time I've ever finished an anaconda while rolling.

Nando and Rachael pressed me again about Master World's. Money.........

No comments: