Monday, August 11, 2014

Ataque Tartaruga

Jason showed some interesting attacks on the turtle position today. I liked all of them quite a bit. One of them was the gator roll, which somehow I've gotten this far in my training and hadn't been exposed to it yet. If they try to hide their arm after you've separated their near-side arm from their knee, there are a couple of good options, including an easy shoulder lock or doing a modified gator roll to a crucifix.

Rolled with Sol, Jason W. and Jason S. The three biggest and highest ranked guys, all in a row. How awesome for me. Sol had top side control for the most part. I tried to turtle to get him to start the roll differently and he just pushed me over. :p He eventually played my game and then pushed me over and passed to side-control. Meh. After one of our resets I almost kinda sorta passed his guard. I started the Dern pass (as I'm going to henceforth refer to the pass that Mackenzie taught at the seminar) and then dropped to my side like Jason W showed me. I had absolutely no shoulder pressure to the head, so there was no surprise when it didn't work out in my favor.

Jason W. had top side as well. He did the thing where he grabs the jacket under both arms from N/S and yanks up to take the back. I did a pretty good job of only allowing one hook, but I basically gave him an arm-bar in the process. He maintained a grip on the jacket on one side which kept my shoulder on the mat.

Jason S. also played a top side and KOB game. I was in a whole lot of trouble between a mounted arm-bar attempt, triangle, arm-bar etc., etc. I eventually tapped when both of my arms were jeopardized. At some point in the near future I need to spend some time on submission escapes, specifically arm-bar (mount and guard) and triangle. My posture was so broken on the triangle b/c it had started as a mounted triangle that I had no idea what to do. 

Even though I pretty much had my ass handed to me, I still felt pretty good about the rolls.

I'm on a week of staycation, so will be going in tonight to hear all about the Vegas Open and get my ass handed to me some more.

No comments: