Saturday, August 2, 2014

Fundies and the Nooner

Covered the scissor, flower and pendulum sweeps in fundamentals this morning. Felt pretty good about all of them, except I didn't do as good of a job as I would have liked with pendulum. That's how you learn though... Had six people for class, Rachael, Missy, Kevin, Nick, Joe and Mike. It was clear to me before how important it is to load someone when doing sweeps, but it really crystallized for me when I was teaching it.

Noon class was also sweeps, but fortunately of a different variety...reverse scissor, a no gi reverse scissor and a kimura sweep from reverse scissor if they stand. Also a half guard sweep if you try to take the back but they get a whizzer. It's waaaay more complicated then my goto of hooking under the far leg and dropping them to the other side. 

Rolled with Sarah for 10min, then 5min with Akina, and 5min with Ian. After class did a round with Rachael and Jerry.

Overall I was satisfied with my effort. A lightbulb clicked on about framing as they're trying to collapse your leg so that you can get your leg back up. I executed the sweep from reverse half guard TWICE on Sarah which was awesome. First time I've ever pulled that off during rolling. I tried to keep the rolls with Sarah and Akina moving and not stalling out in one spot. Sarah and I get into some ridiculous positions. I can't even describe what we ended up in today, but it was very odd.

Haven't rolled with Ian in awhile. I don't quite remember how it went, but I feel like I used my frames pretty well. Ditto with Rachael. She got a sweep, then I think I swept back and spent a good portion of the roll trying to complete a pass.

Jerry is crazy good with pant grips when passing. It's very frustrating trying to break his grips. He was toying with me a bit throughout the roll, but I did a couple of good things. I asked him after our roll how he does his pant grips, b/c they are so effective. Part of it seems to be that he gets them before I can establish a contact point on his body, and he also crowds me with my own legs, which gets my hips off the ground. That's partly whey it's so difficult to break the grips, b/c I can't get the leverage I need when I start with both hips already up. That's my hypothesis anyway.

No comments: