Monday, August 11, 2014

Monday Night

Soooooo... apparently a good time was had until the wee hours in Vegas last night, and it's a lucky thing that they were even able to make it on the plane. In any case, Russ was teaching and James was nowhere to be found. :p

Russ asked me during warm-ups if I could do the half-guard lockdown. I never, ever use it, but was pretty sure I could do it. As such, he used me as the demo dummy for his half-guard pass to mount, which included a defense to the lockdown.

I started working with a new guy, Steve. He hasn't had much jiu jitsu specific training, but has done a fair amount of MMA. He would do the move slowly one time, and then race his way through the rest. I tried to encourage him to slow it down, but it was falling on deaf ears. He did ask after each time he went through it whether it was right or not...

Drilled with Savannah (she was still somewhat hungover), rolled with Corey, Ian, Kevin and Rachael. I felt good with all of my rolls, though I keep doing this weird thing where I try to pass by doing a sortof back-step and sitting on them, hoping they won't pull me into back-mount. Surprisingly, it's not working out well for me. I did get to back-mount on several people tonight and actively worked for the bow and arrow and lapel chokes on Rachael but wasn't able to finish. I even played around with the body triangle for a bit. I came very close to competing the Dern pass but AGAIN I neglected shoulder pressure and didn't have my knee far enough through. 

Someday I'll remember shoulder pressure.


No comments: