Sunday, August 10, 2014

Big Fundamentals Class

Five minutes before class was scheduled to start, it appeared that I'd have three or four people tops. Turned out to be 12+. Biggest class I've had thus far, including a family of judo black belts (mom and three kids). The size was a little daunting, but I was going over something I was pretty comfortable with and was very basic (mount escapes), so I didn't feel too overwhelmed.

I had planned on showing three varieties (trap and roll, elbow escape and butterfly) but only got to the first two. I was nervous to start, but once I got into it I was ok. There was lots of drill time, as it took me awhile to get around to everyone. I get nervous about having too much drill time, but as long as people are focused and not chatting, it's probably an ok thing.

Jason W. taught the noon class, and expanded on the arm-wrap series. This time we did a cross choke, scooting to the opposite side as the shoulder lock. This seemed counter-intuitive at first, until he showed the arm-bar possibility if they bring their other hand through to block the choke. I like the series quite a bit.

Rolled with Rachael twice, Sol, Jason and Joyce. Having Sol and Jason back to back is soul-crushing. Both of them were intent on making my life miserable from top side. My first roll with Rachael she had the more dominant positions, but I was able to work more of a top game in the second. Joyce is doing well, and I managed to once again get her a position so that she could practice what we did in the Fundamentals classes. 

Next Saturday is going to be exhausting... Fundamentals class at 10:30, regular class at noon, women's open mat from 2pm - 4pm. I should start carbo loading now.

The team did pretty well in Vegas...James, Julio, Savannah and Shaun earned silver, Sarah and Nando earned bronze. Can't wait to hear their Vegas stories.

No comments: