Friday, August 1, 2014

Fri Morn

We're doing a new thing where the 1st and 3rd Friday morning class of each month is no gi. I was looking forward to doing some no gi rolling, but also brought my gi b/c Rachael and I were going to roll with Sarah to help get her prepped for Vegas. 

Technique was going from an arm-drag to trapping the arm under your armpit and then getting nice and tight for either an armbar, a shoulder lock (Frank Mir-ish) or bastardized versions of the pendulum sweep or flower sweep, depending on what you have available to you.

I felt good with all of the techniques, and it was especially timely b/c I'm planning on teaching pendulum and flower sweeps in the fundamentals class tomorrow.

First round of rolling Rachael and I swapped out every minute and a half with Sarah. Next roll I did no gi with Nate, gi with Sarah, and no gi with Jason W (I finally learned his last name). The no gi rules were that you had to do ten jumping jacks if you were mounted or back-mounted. I managed to avoid those with both Nate and Jason, though I noticed that Jason did a lot of catch-and-release submissions since they weren't allowed. I was pretty happy with how I handled Nate, though I was in bottom side the vast majority of the time. There were a couple of instances where I had a shadow of an opportunity to get to mount or back-mount myself but my technique wasn't good enough to overcome his scrambling ability.

Overall feeling much better about jiu jitsu than Wednesday night. I really need to get over myself sometimes.

In other news, there'll be an IBJJF tournament in Seattle this year....one week before Master/Senior Worlds. Not sure what I'm going to do with that situation. The bank account will probably solve that one for me.


No comments: