Saturday, August 23, 2014

Fundies and Sat Class

Today was back-mount escapes. Went pretty well. Felt like I might have let the drilling portion go too long, but people had questions, so....  Overall it went well, I felt like everyone was pretty engaged.

After class Chris asked me to flow roll to try out his back. It seemed to go well, the only thing that bothered him was when I was working standing passes. It'll be great to have him back on the mat if his back allows it.

For the noon class, James went over a spiderguard sweep variation that I haven't seen before. The premise is that they break one of the grips free, so you get a lapel grip instead and either do the regular sweep or switch to a triangle. The sweeps themselves are totally legit, but getting there in the first place is what's tricky for me.

Rolled with Sarah (last time before she goes to Seattle for 2 weeks, boo), Clayton, Jerry and Nick. I was doing really dumb stuff with Sarah b/c I was feeling pretty tired at that point. 

Clayton called me out and proceeded to crush my dreams by getting some good sweeps and choking me several times. When he's close on a choke, he really slaps that thing on, doesn't mess around. After Clayton roughed me up Jerry wanted to take a swing at me and smothered me from top positions. He was letting me out at some points, which wasn't ideal. I get what he's doing though. Midway through I decided that I wasn't going to take the domination passively and put up more of a fight. Didn't do me a whole lot of good, but instead of sitting back mid-pass when he was threatening legs and such, I stayed up and pressed forward.

Last roll was with Nick, can't remember what happened except that I got a flower sweep variation b/c he likes to put a leg up in my guard and without a grip on my same-side sleeve. 

Left class with a bit of a headache. I've been having slight headaches all week, I think my water consumption isn't where it needs to be.


No comments: