Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thursday Night Vanna White

Russ asked me before class if I would be his Vanna White (demo dummy). How could I possibly say no to that?

He did the basic spiderguard sweep (he called it the hammer sweep) and a funky DLR cross-legged/cross-armed variation if they step up the opposite foot after you establish spiderguard. Also pendulum sweep b/c someone asked for it.

Rolls with Chuck, Nick, Michael F., Kevin and Dennis. I was trying to avoid Chuck's left side b/c he recently had it tattooed and it was still tender. As a result, I had the opportunity to work on regaining guard quite a bit. 

I probably should have let Nick work more, but I wasn't in the mood. I did catch and release submissions though, so there's that.

Michael is apparently on a berimbolo kick, but I was able to stuff him multiple times and keep him inverted. At one point his knee mashed into his face pretty good. He was able to continue it through a couple of times to at least get a scramble or top position. He is also going for leg locks of late, which is no bueno for me.

I tried and tried to get Kevin to do the mount escapes but he froze every time. I shouldn't have been exasperated with him. I didn't let it show, but it was driving me crazy. He gets a lot of stuff pretty fast (before class he was trying out some nutty Kit Dale side-control arm-wrap shenanigans), but the basic mount escape isn't clicking for him. Will try to get him aside sometime on Saturday.

Haven't rolled with Dennis in awhile. He had a dominant position for the most part, but I was able to snag his far arm when he had reverse side-control and wiggle my way into a back-mount position. I committed an arm too far over though and gave him an easy escape.

After class Russ and I did a sortof flow roll, and I was able to help him with a lapel guard sweep just by us sitting there messing with it. I don't feel like I roll like a purple belt, but it sure is a blast at least knowing enough about the art to be able to have in depth conversations and noodle things out.


No comments: