Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wednesday Morning

Smallish class today, around ~10 ppl. I'm mostly over my cold, funk and injuries. Knee and back didn't bother me at all during drills/rolls. I've decided that if running is involved in warm-ups for the next week or so I'm going to go in a corner and do something. Running is the only thing that seems to start the aggravation. Once it's aggravated, I can't trust it. If I don't aggravate it with running, it's fine. We didn't run during warm-ups today, which worked out perfect.

Defending the knee slice pass, going in descending order of advantageous to disadvantageous positions. I really, really like how James does these progressions. We have several people that use the knee slice almost exclusively, so it would behoove me to drill these on Sunday. 

Rolls with Sarah, Dennis, Jason (b), Tyrone, Ryan and Nate. I did great against Sarah, although during one of my passes I couldn't tell if I was using my weight or strength. At one point I somehow transitioned from a d'arce to a triangle and finished the triangle. Also had a RNC as time was running out. 

Dennis passed my guard but I was able to get his back a couple of times. At one point he went for a rolling back attack from top half guard but didn't have my feet quite right and I was able to scramble to his back.

Jason pummeled me. Swept me with ease multiple times, got to KOB and finished a collar choke. Got something else that I don't remember. His open guard is very good and he uses his long limbs to his advantage. 

I had Tyrone in some weird spots today. At one point I had both of his arms trapped to one side and managed to finish a triangle that way. I threatened omoplatas and arm-bars from guard numerous times. 

Ryan did well today. I did manage to take his back and finished a bow and arrow by being very patient once I secured it and keeping a steady pull on the collar.

I didn't get a full roll with Nate b/c I had to band-aid my finger before we started. I did manage to pass his guard using the dive-under DLR pass that I've been practicing, so that was pretty gratifying. 


No comments: